Uses for hay bale twine

Hay twineOne of these days I’m going to keep track of the hay twine we go through and weigh it. We put out around two large round bales of hay a week for our four horses and end up with a handful of twine like you see in this picture. The big round bales where we live are usually secured with a plastic poly twine like this and the smaller square bales use a biodegradable sisal fiber (from an agave plant).¬†Every square bale of hay we open gives us two more pieces, about 16 feet total. I could throw it away but I can’t help but thinking there is a good use for all this leftover twine. In our old forum discussion about uses for hay bale string, we got some great suggestions, especially from user shellz9 who quoted an article by Amy K. Habak called “30 Hay Twine Uses”. Here are a few that caught my eye:

• Replacing missing horse blanket straps
  • As hanger loops for horse tools like hoof scrapers and brushes
  • For temporary fence repair (we use it for this a lot)
  • As a quick temporary lead rope

Dora Renee Wilkerson, a visitor to our horse blog, has another great use for hay twine – rugs. Dora makes really nice looking, useful and durable rugs by knitting the discarded hay twine:

Hay twine rug 1

Hay twine rug 2

She even has a great how-to article for making your own hay twine rug.

Mikki came up with another use that’s especially handy in the muddy winter months: disposable boot scraper. Here’s a short video that explains:

What kind of things do you use hay twine for? Anyone built a giant hay twine ball yet?

About Bill

Long-winded horse newbie, aspiring amateur barrel racer and cowboy mounted shooter. Bill has a "horse problem" and regularly wears a t-shirt that reminds him "I don't need another horse." A favorite quote is from John Wayne: "Courage is being scared but saddling up anyway," which pretty much describes how he feels every time he gets on a horse.
This entry was posted in General, Video and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Uses for hay bale twine

1. Laura O. says:

At my first reining show in April, LH stepped on my spurs just as I was swinging my foot forward. Next thing I knew, my spur strap was snapped off & I didn’t have a spare. But I did have baling twine! Luckily my pants were long enough to cover my “redneck spur strap”.

2. Bill says:

Hay twine saves the day! Fortunately it seems to be everywhere. I think we have some in the trunk of every car, in the horse trailer, tack room, barn, etc. Neat story.

3. Sewbeeot says:

DH uses it to tie up the garbage bags which are usually feed sacks, hang extension cords, temporarily mend gates and tie up plants in the garden. It’s always around and always useful. I like the idea of making rugs. I’ll have to look into that.

4. corinne says:

we use it ti tie up horses to solid objects, so if there is a fence post we tie the twine around that and then tie the horse to the twine, this way if the horse spooks its the twine that breaks not the horse.

5. Claire Rich says:

I just saw hay twine listed for free on Craig’s List. I guess it is everywhere. I just recently started reading your blog and love it. I’m pursuing my childhood dream by taking riding lessons. I don’t own my own horse yet, but I’m heading that direction.

6. I have used hay twine for many different things:

1)As a bucket/trough scrubber(like those spa/bath scrubbies we see everywhere) : Take several long lengths, tie a bunch of knots until the hay twine resembles a ball, and then use it to scrub the algae and muck out of the animal buckets.

2)To create a Car Wash Curtain/Vine Obstacle for an ACTHA ride: Tie several lengths together to create a rope to tie to two trees, Then tie sections of hay twine onto that rope so they hang straight down, and after the curtain is completed, have fun with your horse walking through it.

3)To repair holes in small-mesh slow-feeder hay bags. And to create a hand-made hay bag using a hockey net and some hay twine.

4)Temporary leash for my dogs.

5)To tie stuff to my saddle rings.

6)To tie my hair back while scooping poop and mucking stalls.

7)To temporarily (or not) fix wire mesh fencing.

8)To tie buckets to fence so horses and goats don’t tip them over.

9)To tie trash bags closed.

10)And my barn swallows use the twine to line their nests.

~Lisa

7. Pen says:

i plait mine and then make holes in carrots and swedes and thread it through. it makes like a hanging vegetable toy – doesn’t last long though but the horses get really excited when they see that i’ve done one!

8. Traci says:

My farrier gave me this idea: cross ties. The twine will break before the halter and won’t pull the post out of the ground. My babies also don’t get hurt if a problem arises (and it did). Works perfectly!

9. ED Reiffer says:

I have been looking for hay twine all over the place – I use it for making pine trees for our model railroad here in Lincoln,NE . The only thing I can find in the stores is sisal rope – not good enough – sisal rope with not spread out enough (fan out) when pulled through a twisted wire. Will you sell me some of your hay twine ????? I am serious !!!

Let me know email or call 4024407316 Ed Tks